Monday, December 16, 2013

'Tis The Season

'Tis the Season for family, friends, Christmas cheer, and germs, and runny noses, and fevers, oh my! Winter is my favorite time of year! Insert sarcasm here. Yes, I do love how pretty the first snowfall looks, and love decorating my house for Christmas, and baking holiday treats, and spending time with family and friends, and starting new Christmas traditions with Aaron. What I don't like is the inevitable sickness that will be floating around all season.

Aaron was sick last week. He ran a fever, didn't sleep well, and just needed mommy and daddy's (but mostly mommy's) comfort. I took him into the doctor on Friday just to make sure it was nothing more, and it wasn't, thank goodness. Just a virus and sore throat. It's been going around. As a parent you're happy to hear your child doesn't have strep or an ear infection, but then you're secretly a little bummed to hear you won't be getting this magic elixir called an antibiotic. There's no magic potion for viruses. They just get to hang out for however long they see fit.

So what do you do when you're cooped up with a sick child for an entire week/weekend? Well, pretty much anything they want to do in order to keep them happy, and preferably distract them for a bit so they don't make you hold them the entire day. I wouldn't mind holding Aaron if we could just sit and cuddle. But he wants me to hold him so he can lead me in different directions in order to point at things. It is cute, and he is learning lots of words, but he's 26 pounds now. When was the last time you went from a full squat to standing position while holding 26 pounds? Or were forced to vacuum while holding 26 pounds. Yes, he really did make me vacuum. You do what you got to do. And my carpets can always use a vacuum.

So this past week we...

sat on the furniture however we wanted, 






















decorated family members' Christmas cards with french fries,
















did dishes,














organized the silverware drawer, 


and then the lazy susan, 



made ornaments (and hated every minute of the handprint part), 




ate our dinner out of whatever dishes we wanted while sitting on the counter wearing no pants - comfort first, 
















and even got to eat our yogurt with our hands!



I think it's safe to say that our little buddy is on the road to feeling better, though. We took him back to the sitter's house today, and he was very happy to see his friends. His friends were very happy to see him, too. I'm sure we'll get blessed with another germy sickness before Winter is over, but I'll be prepared with plenty of Tylenol, Motrin, fluids, bleach, thermometers, wet rags, jammies, and fun things to do!

Hope you all are enjoying this time of year, and are blessed with good health! I really enjoyed catching some of your snowy, wonderland pictures on FB over the weekend. Can't wait to get Aaron out in the snow to play!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post in so many ways but I'm dying over those curls!

    ReplyDelete