This time every year all of the Bosches get together for an annual family reunion & weenie roast. And when I say all of the Bosches - I really mean ALL of the Bosches. There are a lot.
My grandfather, Edward Bosch, is the oldest of 9 children (8 living). He had 8 kids of his own. His other siblings had anywhere from 2 - 6 kids. That makes 37 grandchildren for great grandma Bosch. Those 37 people had kids, and some of their kids have had kids, well you get my drift. And they all reunite (well most of them) every year. While great grandma was still living, the weenie roast took place out at her farm. I was pretty young, but I do remember always seeing her in the garage playing cards. And there were always some really good homemade chocolate chip cookies in her kitchen. The location has changed a couple of times since then, but there are some things you can count on staying the same - card games, chocolate chip cookies & other various desserts, bacon-wrapped chicken livers (my personal favorite), and cow tongue. Yes, you heard me, cow tongue. Pickled cow tongue. It's there every year, and it really isn't that bad.
This year Aaron got to experience his first weenie roast. He slept the whole time - go figure. He even slept the whole way back to Bloomington. And this is what happened when we got home.
| "But I didn't even get a hot dog!!" |
While I can't tell you the names of everyone that attends the weenie roast (although it's really fun to try & I think I just thought of a fun game to play at Christmas!), and I might not even recognize some people (it's an ever growing family), it is a fun family tradition that has been going on for 49 years. I know it makes grandpa Bosch very happy to be around all of his family on that last Sunday in October.
And, yes, you will want to throw your smoke filled clothes out the window on the drive home. Maybe some of you have.
So I'm pretty sure you should quit your day job and become a writer. I love reading these!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great synopsis. I remember Great Grandma's afghan and collecting wooly worms on my sweater way back when.
ReplyDelete