Croup, which you may or may not know, is a condition that causes inflammation of the upper airways. It often leads to a barking cough and hoarseness. Coup is usually caused by a virus, but can be treated at home. We'll be doing a daily steroid, and nebulizer treatments every 4 hours as needed. I didn't know about the Restrictive/Reactive Airways Disease so I have done some research. Basically, it could be asthma, but they're not sure. He's kind of young to be diagnosed with asthma, so that's what leads to this diagnosis. He's experiencing asthma like symptoms - shortness of breath and wheezing. The nurse really doesn't think he has asthma, though. But with his history of allergies - eczema/egg/peanut, he's a good candidate. Poor guy.
I applaud all parents of children with allergies. It's not fun. It can be pretty stressful. But I am counting my blessings that it's nothing worse. If this is all we have to deal with in his lifetime, I'll gladly deal with it.
Hopefully he'll start feeling better in a couple days. I think this momma is going to be very tired for the next few days, though.
In case you are wondering what our ER experience was like, it was traumatic. Aaron didn't calm down until he got to put his clothes back on and knew we were getting ready to leave. Not a fan. I really didn't take many pictures because I was too stressed and holding a screaming child most of the time. But I did want to get a couple to document this first in our lives.
Hated the gown.
Hated the nurse.
Better now that we were going home.
Alright, back to my research on all of this stuff and how to use a nebulizer. Send up some prayers for a healthy boy. He seems to be in good spirits.



No comments:
Post a Comment