Monday, July 8, 2013

Sunday = Baby Food Making Day

As some of you know, I've been making Aaron's food. Yes, there are times I cheat and just feed him some good 'ole fashioned Gerber - like when we travel, but for the most part I make it all. I really love to cook, and this is kind of my creative outlet, but it can be very time consuming. I usually just spend a whole Sunday morning making enough to last a couple of months. Let me share with you what it's like. Mind you, I have a very small kitchen. 

Necessary equipment - immersion blender, food processor, blender, chopping boards, good knives, peeler, measuring cups, lots of pots, and baby jars. The wine doesn't go into the baby food - only into my mouth. 


All of my ingredients & most of the equipment


Mixtures of squash & sweet potato; chicken, squash & apple; chicken, squash & sweet potato; legumes, carrots, sweet potato, beef stock & water; and pureed apples


3 hours and 2 cut fingers later I am finished! I just freeze all of this into ice cube trays and then portion them into ziplock bags. I also bought bananas, blueberries and peaches, but those I usually just make when I need them. But they also freeze nicely, as well. 

After all of this hard work I'm very excited to try the legume mixture on my guinea pig. This was his first time having this concoction. I thought it tasted just like pot roast and was very proud of it!

And then I get this reaction.

What the hell, lady?!
I'm gonna puke, I'm gonna puke!

Woooooo Weeeeee - that was a tough swallow.

RUDE!

This mommy decided she had earned a beer after all of this. 

I also learned over the weekend that he might not be a fan of grapes. He's still too young for grapes, but I was just letting him suck on it while I held it. 




Even if I get a couple of fails with foods, these faces are priceless. For the most part he really does like everything I make him, I swear. 



2 comments: